Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Tools and Tongues

I remember the first sewing project my mom ever did with me. It was a small embroidery kit, with a picture of little girl sitting on a chair. I can still remember the hours of
weaving my sewing needle in and out of the fabric, trying to make the lines straight and even.

Learning to control a small instrument, such as a sewing needle, takes time and practice. There is skill in holding the needle still and then poking it up from the underside
of the embroidery hoop. Many little girls have felt the sharp prick of a needle that went into a thumb instead of the fabric!

James 3:5-8 describes another little “tool” that can be used for great good or “unruly evil”: the tongue. Far more painful than the prick of a needle are the piercings of a misplaced
word!

I don’t embroider much any more, but I do use my tongue every day. God has shown me the need to pray for His help in how I use my tongue, so that it may be a blessing and not
a curse to those around me. How quickly the tongue can surprise us with an unexpected prick of criticism, gossip, or complaining. Using my tongue wisely is a skill I still need
LOTS of practice in! Thankfully, we have a Friend to help us!



Set a watch, Oh Lord, before my mouth.” Ps. 141:3

No comments:

Post a Comment