Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Grammar Lessons

Can I do this and not make anyone mad at me? I don't want to be a Grammar Nazi and make anyone embarrassed to post, but it occurred to me that maybe I can lend a hand--much like my fashion-conscious friends help me to come across as more professional (since that's not my gift at all!), and my directionally-proficient friends keep me from driving to Wisconsin when I'm trying reach Jerseyville Wal-Mart.

So just a quick thought--and don't take this as a criticism. I am noticing that one of the most common grammar mistakes for most Americans is the use of the apostrophe. (Jessica and I spotted a mistake on a restroom sign at the Illinois State Fair, so it's pretty common).

Here's an easy way to remember when to use the apostrophe (that's the ' symbol): Use it only if you are showing ownership (possession), or if you are leaving out letters. We would say, "The books are lying on the table." Not, "The book's are lying on the table." or, "The Valentins are noisy people," not "The Valentin's are noisy people." (Because the Valentins really are noisy people--trust me on that one.)

The exception that gets us all tripped up is "it's." Use the apostrophe if you mean to say "it is." Don't use it for the possessive. We would say, "The dog broke its leg," not "The dog broke it's leg." (crazy English . . . )

If that's more information than you wanted this early in the morning--no harm done. I honestly don't mind the mistakes. But sometimes people want to know, so if you're an inquiring mind--there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment