Monday, December 9, 2013

Deer Hunting

So . . . Deer hunting has not been what we had hoped this year. (In other words, no deer.) I'm not sure why no deer (experts can enlighten us on what we're doing wrong), but today it didn't matter. Here's why: Jason has been sitting out in the woods every free morning since October, either with David (bow hunting) or the twins (gun). Since he rises early for his bus job, as well as on Sundays... for preaching, I doubt that he has slept in past 4:30 AM more than once or twice in about 8 weeks.

Last week, after another unsuccessful hunt, Jonathan came home and said, "Next Saturday, I'm taking David hunting so Dad can sleep in." And he did. This morning as I dropped them off at our hunting spot at 5:00 AM, and watched Jonathan help David get his gear into the woods and navigate past the electric fence (on the farm where they have permission to hunt), it suddenly wasn't about deer any more. I was thankful for Jonathan sacrificing an early Saturday morning (and most of the day) for his brother and his dad, and I was thankful for the responsibility that Jason has taught both of the boys. I was nothing but a chauffeur and a bystander, as they collected all their gear and trekked out there in the dark, reminding each other of what they needed for their hours in the deer blind. As I watched them walk together into the darkness, I realized that the deer is just an accessory. I already had the real reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment