Thursday, July 20, 2017

Habits

When I was a little girl, I enjoyed getting to visit my Grandma Gustafson. It was always a good day when we arrived at Grandma's house and found her baking bread! Even now, my memory can take me back decades to the tiny kitchen table where my brothers and I would carve into a hot, delicious loaf of Grandma's bread.

I do not remember Grandma ever making a bad loaf of bread. Although she famously did not use a recipe, she repeated her bread-making process with exact, predictable precision every single time, leaving nothing to chance. And we kids were richly rewarded every time she finished a batch of bread!

Just as there are habits that make for successful bread-making, there are habits that contribute toward a successful Christian life, too. Neither one should be left to chance or whim. Several habits that the Bible links to a successful Christian life include these:

Daily personal Bible reading (Joshua 1:8)
Daily personal prayer time (Psalm 55:17)
Regular family Bible time (Deuteronomy 6:7)
Faithful church attendance (Hebrews 10:25)
Sharing Christ with those we love (I Peter 3:14 - 16)


Although the Christian life is much bigger than a recipe, these habits make a huge difference in helping us to find the strength and victory we need each day from Jesus!  

No comments:

Post a Comment