Thursday, July 20, 2017

Weeping vs. Whining

Fighting a cold today--and therefore, fighting the selfish desire to complain. The Bible calls us to "weep with those who weep," but we are not commanded to "whine with those who whine." ðŸ˜Š So between kleenexes today, I'm asking myself, "What's the difference?" And, "Can complaining actually be a form of idolotry?"
Weeping can be comforted with genuine kindness, even though there may not be any visible answers. "Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted."
Whining glories in attention for myself and often resents actual solutions.
Weeping results in brokenness--a profound realization of dependence on God.
Whining seeks to puff myself up with martyrdom and manipulation of others for forced sympathy.
Weeping causes me long for Heaven.
Whining causes me to seek earthly gratification in self.
Weeping finds consolation in being with others of similar trial.
Whining prefers to glory in being "the only one" with my problems. ("Elijah syndrome)
Weeping craves victory: Reading about people who have overcome this illness or hardship; always craving healing and solutions. (Hope!)
Whining seeks negativity. "Hope" threatens that my whining flesh may forfeit the cheap rewards of complaining (guilting my family; talking only of myself; treating my cold with the same status as a genuine tragedy).
And for so many of you who are truly in that "weeping season" right now, battling cancer, recent losses, and other crushing circumstances, I am thankful for your vulnerability in asking for prayer. You give us a mission in our prayer closets, and your courage reminds the rest of us to QUIT OUR WHINING!

No comments:

Post a Comment