Thursday, July 20, 2017

Letting Go and Letting God

Since Kaitlyn will be working at PCC this summer, I won’t get to be with her on her 18th birthday (August 10th). So last Saturday, we took a day to celebrate, four months early, and we did something I have not done for over 22 years: We went zip-lining!

It looked so easy on the video. In fact, it even looked fun. But suddenly, there I was, bound by harnesses and locked to a cable above me, ready to step out of a platform high above the parking lot and let a small metal contraption carry me hundreds of feet across the Meramec River into a waiting tower in the woods. Wait—WHAT?!

Sensing my hesitation, Kaitlyn urged me from behind. “Just go, Mom!” I’m sure she suspected that each second of hesitation only increased my chances of backing out. And so I did what my mind shouted never to do: Two stories above a parking lot, I stepped on air.

The harnesses tightened their grip underneath me and secured me to the cable as I flew over vehicles, people, boats on the moving river, and tree tops. My fear turned into exhilaration as my feet dangled helplessly in space. There was nothing to do but ride. My harnesses did their job.

A few months ago, I was searching for the Lord to help me navigate this chapter of my life as I prepare for Kaitlyn to take flight and start college. God gave me this verse (Psalm 16:9): “ . . . my flesh also shall rest in hope.” For me, resting feels like stepping on air. Jesus will do His job. Like a harness underneath, gripping me to the cable that carries me, Jesus does not let go. I can afford to rest from fretting. Oh, I have so much to learn about stepping on air. Letting go and letting God carry me is my daily challenge!


No comments:

Post a Comment