Thursday, May 8, 2014

Fifty Things to Learn from All These Internet Lists


(OK—three things, since we’re busy.)

 

 

1. We all need help.

 

Why do we have lists floating all over the internet, gently educating us on all the stuff we’re not supposed to say to each other?   It's true:  We’re all a little tacky.   We actually do need to be taught some of these things.  Having read many of these internet lists, I realize that at times I have been saying some of the very clichés that people beg us to stop using.  

 

In areas that are particularly painful and personal—such as infertility, divorce, and bereavement--a blog can do a world of good and spare someone the trouble of having to look us in the eye and admit, “You’re killing me with your nosy questions.  Just. Stop.”  Bloggers save us some grief.   I can think of at least three blogs already this year that have completely changed the way I interact with people who are dealing with situations I have not personally encountered.   Why do people have to come along and show us how it feels to be disabled, or lonely, or suffering?  Because, without their education, most of us do very poorly at empathy that requires us to think outside of our own natural experience. 

 

2.  Some kooks  out there are kookier than the rest of us. 

 

I once heard of a guy who, within hours of a funeral, asked the widow what would become of the deceased individual’s valuables.  Seriously?!  Where do these people come from?  And how can we send them back? 

 

Here’s the bad news, on the blogging front:  Some people don’t read blogs any better than they read body language.  They just skip merrily through life, asking personal questions, suffocating us with their nuclear-powered body odor, and answering cell phones during our children’s weddings.  It would be a waste of their giftedness to read someone else’s ideas about convention.  After all, they already know everything.     

 

If blogging helped, I would write a hundred blogs, starting with this one: 

”Three things to remember about showering:   1.  Do it.  2.  Every day.  3.  With soap. “

 

 But I’m also realistic enough to know that the guy who is choking us to death with his fragrance, sitting in Subway, leeching their Wifi in eight-hour shifts and watching Netflix day in and day out, is not reading blogs about manners.  Not gonna fix him—outside of a miraculous accident involving a car wash jet spray and a gallon of Mr. Clean.  Some problems are just here to stay. 

 

3.  We can over-analyze. 


Fellow bloggers, may I tweak and crop a few of your lists just a teensy, weensy bit?  We are listing, detailing, and evaluating everyone to death.  Almost every single day, a new article pops up, sensitizing me with specific bullet points on what I am to say, and not to say, to every group I meet.  Sometimes the bloggers themselves don’t agree on what I am supposed to do.   Everything is getting so carefully scripted that it’s starting to feel more like a play, where I pose as Florence Nightengale, desperately trying to remember what I’ve been told to say for each situation.  Sharing “from the heart” is getting engineered out of the whole sequence, and I’ve got so many lists floating in my head that I’m tempted at times to say nothing at all, lest I accidentally step into one of the many sayings I’ve been admonished not to say.    

 

The Listing Phenomenon is not too different from what evolved with wedding registries.  Back when we were kids, people got married, opened their gifts—and promptly owned 18 toasters.  They spent most of their first year tracking down department stores, making exchanges, or selling all their gifts at garage sales so they could purchase milk and orange juice.  Someone (presumably an executive at Target) came up with the idea of “wedding registries,” where couples could sign up for what they needed, and everyone else could buy accordingly.  It actually worked pretty well at first. 

 

I remember the first time I received a link to a wedding registry that included sporting equipment.  It occurred to me then that we had officially witnessed “the shift”.   Showering impoverished newlyweds with necessities so they wouldn’t have to drink out of tin cans while they paid off their honeymoon had somehow evolved into sponsorship of Parks and Recreation.   No, instead of wading through a ten-page online listing for several stores,  I just send gift cards or checks, and let the honeymooners pick out their own towels and tennis racquets.  Or toasters. 

 

Like a wedding registry that is so detailed it renders itself unusable, some of these internet lists leave us feeling overwhelmed enough to give up trying to help each other out.  When we over-manage each other, with such deep analysis that no one can say anything anymore without it being rigorously tested, we strangle the very compassion we seek

 

I’m listening to your lists.  But please see my heart and forgive me if I mess up sometimes too.  J 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment