Thursday, July 20, 2017

Keep Your Heart

It matters what we think.
"Lord, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? . . . he that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart." (Ps. 15:2)
The other day as I was shoe-shopping with our boys, a song came over the store speaker. Not being a "disciple" of pop culture, I don't know the singer or the song, but the message was that "I'm going to do what I want, and no one is going to tell me what to do." It may sound convincing, but there are more than a few verses that dispute that attitude.
We don't always have control of what comes over a speaker in the mall, but we have options when it comes to what we allow into our minds. JC Penney chose my playlist Tuesday night--but I choose my playlist at home. Music, internet sites, friends, books, and even our own internal dialogue can sway us from speaking the truth in our hearts.
"But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness." (I Tim. 4:7)
The wisest man who ever lived--and incidentally, one who experienced catastrophic failure when he stopped taking his own advice--said this:
"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov. 4:23)

No comments:

Post a Comment